Tuesday 14 February 2012

Thoughts on Valentine's Day


When I was younger, I never recognized Valentine's Day as anything special.  As a child, something tragic happened to a friend of mine on this day, and for years, it seemed almost wrong to celebrate this day.

As I grew up, I never had anyone special on Valentine's Day, so it seemed fitting for rebellious me to shrug this day off as "something-corporations-created-to-get-us to-buy-things-so-soon-after- Christmas" type of thing.  I was such a romantic as an undergrad.

Yet again, my idea of Valentine's Day has changed.  After spending this time with my partner D, I've come to see Valentine's Day as something new.  There is still a part of me that regrets what happened to my friend all those years ago.  And there is still a part of me that thinks buying stuff is not the best way to show someone you care.  I believe that Valentine's Day can be a good reminder to show the person you love that you value them.  Yes, we should do this everyday, but sometimes life gets in the way.  D knows I love him all the time, but if there are a few days a year, that I can take the time and do something special for D, then that can't be a bad day in my books.  It can be a day of complex feelings, and it is.

I chose the above quote, because at this point in my life, I feel that my reality is better than I dreamed.  I have a career I love, a partner I adore and a home with him.  Who could ask for anything more?

As I was ruminating on my feelings about Valentine's Day, I did a little crochet.  These little hearts.


Aren't they so cute?


Would you like to make some?  I should warn you, they are so fast and cute they are a little addictive.

Tiny Cute Hearts

Gauge doesn't matter, just use an appropriate size hook for the yarn.  I used an E hook with light worsted weight yarn.

(The whole heart is one round)

Make a magic circle (crochet all stitches into the circle)
Chain 3
3 treble crochet
3 doubles crochet
chain 1
1 treble crochet
chain 1
3 double crochet
3 treble crochet
chain 2
slip stitch into circle and fasten off.

I also made the three dimensional ones in the top pic.  That pattern is here (link).

For D's present, I didn't make it.  But I did make the wrapping paper:

He's a writer, so I thought punctuation would be cute.  I stamped all over some white paper, and made a little card.

D knows me so well, he got me a handmade gift from my favorite store, White Elephant!


Isn't it sweet?  It was made by Maudstitch (link).  I can't wait to wear it on my cardigan tomorrow!

And we made sure that everyone in this house got a little love today:

There's nothing Shiloh loves better than a good neck scratch.

Hope your Valentine's Day was happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line, I love hearing from you!