Monday 2 July 2012

So Good Lemon Blueberry Bread


For my first days of summer vacation, I have a cold.  I am sick.  When I get sick or have a bad night, I want things that comfort me, so one thing that comforts me is baking.  I made this great loaf (that we ended up eating at breakfast) and I thought I would share it with you.  I got some of the recipe from The Joy of Cooking, and the rest I made up. 

Lemon Blueberry Loaf with Almonds

Ingredients:

1/3 cup melted butter (or margarine for vegan)
1 cup sugar
3 tbsp lemon juice (I've used bottled and fresh, doesn't matter)
2 eggs (or flax eggs for vegan!)
1 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2  tsp salt
1/2 cup milk (soy milk and its vegan!)
1/2 cup sliced almonds, and a handful for the top
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (I've used both, just thaw the berries and add juice and all if using frozen)

For glaze:
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 cup sugar

Preheat oven to 350 F and grease with butter or spray with oil a large loaf pan

In a mixing bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, juice and eggs.  In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt.  Stir the dry ingredients into the egg mixture alternating with the milk.   After mixed, gently stir in the blueberries and almonds.  I love it when the batter gets all purple! Don't over mix, I poured the batter into the pan like this:


Pour batter into the loaf pan. Sprinkle a handful of sliced almonds on the top of the loaf.

Bake in the oven for an hour, until a cake tester comes out clean when poked in the middle. Cool the loaf in the pan for 10 mins while you prepare the glaze.

Add the lemon juice to the 1/4 cup of sugar.  Spoon the glaze over the bread.  Let cool completely before you cover. 


There you have it!  Delicious blueberry cake to go with your tea.


I got a new pyrex loaf pan from the antique market.  It is perfect!  I've also made this recipe with strawberries, don't be afraid to experiment.  If you make some, let me know!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line, I love hearing from you!