Monday 30 July 2012

I love a good boycott...


I read an interesting debate on my cousin's page via Facebook today.   I participated, but I really didn't have a horse in the race as the other folks were deeply religious and arguing about that mainly.  One thing they mentioned was this Chik Fil-A fiasco.  In Canada, we don't have this restaurant;  which is good, because then I would have to help lead a boycott of this chain of fast food places, because of a statement released by their big-mouthed bigot CEO

I am pro same-sex marriage.  In fact, in Canada, GLBTQ marriage is legal.  As it should be. I was never torn as to whether or not it should be legal.  I remember the controversy when the Civil Marriage Act was being debated in 2005.  Pundits had the most outrageous arguments!  I remember one proponent against gay marriage claiming that this type of marriage would open the door for people to marry their pets which is an argument being used in the South still.  People cannot actually believe this, can they?  The slippery slope argument does not apply, because we are talking about people.  To talk about GLBTQ people as less than persons is hate speech, clear and simple.  And hate speech is illegal.  In Canada it is anyway.  My point is, you cannot be anti-same-sex marriage, and supportive of any GBLTQ persons in your life at the same time.  Believing that GLBT couples should not have access to the same civil rights as a heterosexual couple is a huge injustice, and heterosexist (which is not a good thing to be.)  It wasn't that long ago, that my marriage to D would have been considered illegal too. 

Former Canadian Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau once said, that "the government has no business in the bedrooms of the people."  I wholeheartedly agree; it is not the concern of any government office what happens between two consenting adults.   It is funny how American politics attempt to be laissez-faire in business and economic practice, but not in sex.  That is an interesting political irony.

Where am I going with all this?  Well, please consider boycotting Chik Fil-A if you live in the vicinity of a restaurant.  Yeah, Chik Fil-A is a company that can support any organization it wants to, but so can you.  This corporation supports groups that want to deny some people their civil rights.   You can choose whether or not your dollars feed hatred, or equality.   Please choose equality. 

http://other98.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line, I love hearing from you!