Thursday 26 July 2012

POMS Link Up Week 8: Polka Dot Dress


Wow, is it already week 8 of the Proud of My Size Link-Up?  It is a great project, I say that every week, I know.  But really, it has changed how I see my body. 

I never really hated my body; and I think that has a lot to do with how I see society.  I've always been a feminist, my parents didn't understand me and tried to shrug it off as me being "different" or "artsy" or "argumentative," saying I would "grow out of it," and "get tired of fighting everyone."  I know they only wanted me to have an easier time with the world; but I never did.  Because I often thought society was wrong, I never hated my body, but I didn't like that it made things difficult for me either.

I was angry all. the. time.  and every time some one made fun of my weight, it just served as an example of why the world was f-ed up.  But.  The POMS link-up helps me to celebrate my body!  I never hated what I looked like, but now I actually like what I look like.  And let me tell you, that is a better way to walk through the world.  Sure, I'm still an angry activist and feminist.  But that's to be expected in this world.  Now I don't just focus on that anger, I can celebrate differences while fighting for their equality.  Its good to have balance.


I am actually wearing a dress.  The problem with me and dresses, is that they don't usually fit right.  They are either too long (I'm pretty short); or they don't have a long enough torso (I have a long torso) or they are too tight around my hips or whatever.  But this one was made for me.  I should know, because I made it.  And it was really simple.  Step one: Get some of this fabric.  Step two: Sew it into a tube.  Step three: Take some of the extra fabric and make some straps.  Step 4: Add the straps to the dress.  Step five: Style that thing around town. 

Seriously, this dress took me 15 minutes to make.  So I made two. I'm lucky because I have a serger so the seam is nice and reinforced.  I did hem the bottom a bit so it was a little shorter, but other than that, it was good to go.    


::Head to Toe::
Sunglasses: Can't remember; but I remember I only paid $3 for them
Cropped Cardigan: Old Navy
Dress: Made by me!
Birenstocks: Winners (yep, I have 4 pairs of birks.)
Purse: Steve Madden at Square One

This dress is super comfortable, and I think it looks dynamite.  I wore it to dinner at Mex-I-Can that night.  If you live near Hamilton, and haven't been; you are missing out.  It was so good. 

You should try this link up; it will change your life.


1 comment:

  1. You look great! The dress is fab! Sewing machines dont like me :( i would love to make my own clothes in great funky prints :) cheaper the better in my opinion! Means money to spend on doing things :) x

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a line, I love hearing from you!