Sunday 15 July 2012

Seasons of Love: Sangria


Ah, summer!  That time when I can drink gallons of Sangria on patios and in backyards around the city.  One thing that I love about summer drinks is the copious amount of fruit that can be put into them.  I love adding fruit to my drinks.

Sangria is a wine punch from Spain and Portugal.  I grew up around a large population of Portuguese immigrants, and one of my best friends is Portuguese, so I was introduced to Sangria really early on in my drinking career.  This drink usually consists of sliced fruits, red wine, orange juice and brandy.

Since I don't really like red wine, I always make Sangria with white wine.  I thought I would post the recipe I made up here.  The batch I made above is for a visit to a friend's house this afternoon.  We are going to sit in the yard and drink it while the men folk labor on the "top secret birthday project."

Stephanie's White Sangria (with substitutions for alcohol-free "sangria")

4 cups of dry white wine, I used a combination of Pinot Grigio and Chardonnay but usually I use Chardonnay (instead of wine, I've used Ginger Beer, and it was really yummy and non alcoholic)
3 cups or more of white grape juice
1-2 peaches sliced
2 plums sliced
1 mango sliced
Fresh Mint Leaves (optional, meaning I didn't have any left)
A bottle of carbonated mineral water for serving, we use San Bennedetto Acqua Gassata
ice

Pour the wine and the grape juice over the sliced fruit.  Chill until very cold, at least one hour.  When serving, pour a half glass of carbonated water over ice.  Top up with the sangria.  Put on some big shades and sit outside sipping this awesome summer drink.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line, I love hearing from you!