Thursday 5 July 2012

Made: Quilted coasters


The other day I had a crafternoon date with myself.  I hadn't had one in a very long time, and I was due.  I knew that I wanted to make something to replace the quick and dirty coasters I made for our desk before.  I also knew I wanted to use some of my lovely fabric I bought at Needlework.  I was itching to do a little quilting, so I made these cute birdie coasters!  Don't they lovely under my mixed berry iced tea?

If you have a little bit of fabric that you want to turn into some cute coasters, I took a few notes to help you on your way.  Its okay if you have never quilted before, this is quilting-light.

Materials for making 2 coasters:
- 5 square inches of corresponding (or not, the pie's the limit) cotton fabrics
- 2 4 1/2 square inches squares of cotton batting for the center of each of your coasters
- thread
- rotary cutter and ruler (scissors work, but the rotary cutter is so helpful.)
- cutting mat/ cutting surface
- iron and board
- pins
- sewing machine (makes things go a lot faster)

Before you do anything, iron your fabrics.  It makes cutting the pieces so much easier.  Ask me how I know...

Step 1: Assemble your materials and choose the fabrics you are going to use.  I only had these fabrics in fat quarters.  You only need 5 square inches of each fabric.

I chose these pretty pieces.

Step 2: Cut out your pieces.  You will need 5 1 1/2 inch by 4 1/2 inch strips of fabric, one 4 1/2 square inch piece of cotton batting and one 4 1/2 square inch for each coaster.

Step 3: Once you have all the strips cut out, decide the order you want to use for the coaster.  Take 2 strips and face them right side of the fabric together.  Sew a seam on one side. You will have two strips sewn together once you open it up.  Press flat with the iron, and line another strip with right sides facing to one side of the 2 strips.  Continue in this fashion until you have a section of 5 strips sewn together.  Press with the iron so all the seam lay in one direction.

Step 4: Now we prepare the quilt sandwich:


Cut your sewn strips so they measure 4 1/2 square inches like your batting and backing fabric.  Lay the batting down first, then the backing fabric, right side facing up.  Then lay your sewn top on top of the backing fabric right side down.

Step 5: Pin the sandwich to hold it together. 

Step 6: Sew a seam around the edge of the coaster leaving a inch opening in one edge.

Now you should have an inside-out coaster.

Step 7: Carefully turn the coaster right side in.
 It will look messy as you turn in right side in.

Step 8: Press the coaster flat, and fold the little flaps inward.  Sew them closed, and for good measure, sew a seam around the outside of the coaster so it will lay flat.

Step 9: I quilted the coaster by sewing straight seams where the fabrics met on the front.

Step 10: Put a refreshing and well deserved drink on your coaster!

I really like these coasters.  Unlike the other ones, these ones can be thrown in the laundry when they get dirty.  I love how the fabrics really go together!  Needlework is really good for matching their fat quarters.  When you grab one, you might as well get the one's beside it.  I guess this means I can go and get some more pretty fabrics!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line, I love hearing from you!