Thursday 31 May 2012

From the (Quilting) Vault

Did you know that I used to quilt?  Like a machine.  I learned how to sew a straight line, and that was all I needed to get into quilting.  I loved it.  I would go to the fabric store and buy the cheapest fabrics (I was a broke quilter) and see if I can make something beautiful from them. 

I was pretty good at it.  I made 2 quilts and gave them away as gifts.  And I made smaller quilted items like tote bags and pillows and wall hangings.  I even sold some! 

But I found a job, and didn't have as much time to cut pieces, and quilt like I used to.  Its a little sad really.  I enjoy sewing so much.  Quilting is a little like alchemy; you can turns scraps no one wants into art. 

While I was cleaning out my fabric box, I found two pieces I never finished:


I think this was going to be a pillow?  Its the size of a throw pillow.  It could have been a panel for a bag though. I remember when I designed the quilt block, I was teaching myself paper piecing, and really loved house shapes.  So a house shaped quilt is what came of it. 


This is how I know it wasn't meant to be something larger. The backing fabric is just white cotton.  And its already quilted.  I think I meant to leave it like this, but I think I'll put another 2 border pieces on it to make it a little bigger.   

I must have really liked this fabric, because I have more than a meter of this purple, and a half meter in another color.  I think I will try and finish that up this weekend.  My machine is on the fritz right now, but I know a great place where I can sew by the hour...


Another leftover paper pieced block. Its pretty cute.  I remember I got these scraps from a quilter, and she said that they were too small to do anything with.  I must have taken that as a personal challenge (like I would probably do) and make a block out of them.  If I had the time, I would make an entire quilt out of heart blocks like this.  But I think I may have to turn this into something really small.  I hate to see quilting go to waste. 
 
I'm not someone that likes to leave things unfinished.  I wonder what made me stop working on these.  Oh, sometimes I wish my memory was a lot better.  But at least now I will be able to turn these forgotten crafts into something I can use of gift away!  Does that count as upcycling?

Have you ever abandoned something you were working on?  Why? 





2 comments:

  1. I love the paper pieced block! I actually have a quilt made out of that red fabric (I didn't make it; I WISH I had mad quiltin' skills!)

    I've definitely given up on knitting projects that weren't going anywhere. I just use the yarn for another project I like better!

    Do you have plans to start quilting again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aubrey! I haven't been able to find the time to quilt, but I will this weekend I think! I really want to finish that purple pillow, and it seems like I have crafted in ages (a side from the afghan I'm forever crocheting.) And knitting! I have knit anything since February. My poor neglected needles!

      I hope you don't mind that I added you to my blog roll? I'm a collector of great blog ;-)

      Steph

      Delete

Drop me a line, I love hearing from you!