Thursday 2 August 2012

What I learned from the 80s: Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure



I was watching one of my favorite movies, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, and I was thinking about how this movie helped shaped my philosophy about people.  Really.

Hear me out.

The most memorable quote from this movie is "Be excellent to each other, and party on."  Those guys were actually geniues!  This quote teaches the simple and timeless tenet of being nice to other people, just for the sake of being nice.  No reason, no rewards.  And it turns out, that life is easier, if you are nice to people, and they are nice back.  How awesome would that world be?

The next piece of wisdom in this quote is this, love yourself, and enjoy your life.  Embrace joy, have fun, sometime people forget how to have fun.  Instead, you should "party on."

If we are going to be totally honest, this movie was the reason I became so interested in history, and ultimately why I majored in history in college.  This film is full of little life lessons! For example:
  • Know what and who came before you.  They were here leading up to the moment you were born.  You are a piece of history!  Isn't that empowering?
  • On the other hand, we don't really know what happened in history.  We know what was written down, and what some people hypothesized.  Without a time machine, it is impossible to know what went on back then.  Think about if some historical figures were transported to today; they might very well run amok.  
  • With that, we probably shouldn't base our decisions or life around the perceptions of decisions and lives of historical people.  We should make our own choices, and mistakes.  That way we are responsible for our own victories!
  • George Carlin was awesome.
  • Always help out a friend in need, whether it is moving, or rescuing a band member from potentially attending military school by trekking through history to collect famous people so that you can pass a high school exam, and save a future civilization.  That's what friends are for.
I don't think I'm reading too much into this movie at all.  I think people underestimate the nuances, and philosophies present in the film.   Movies can be funny and educational.  

Are there any films that people tease you for loving?  D teases me about my love for Bill and Ted all. the. time.  But I don't care, its totally an important movie.  And part of my life apparently.

But to be clear, I didn't like the sequels.  They were stupid.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line, I love hearing from you!