Tuesday 14 August 2012

DIY Week: Flax Seed Hair Gel


I've been called a "dirty hippie" more than a few times.  Its no secret around here that I make more than a few of my own personal grooming products.  So I see the label of "dirty hippie" as a sort of badge of honor; although I am never really "dirty."  I just don't use, and therefore don't smell like commercial products.  Instead I smell like, well, oranges.

I choose to make my own grooming products, but I also kind of have to; I have a severe allergy to SLS (sodium lauryl/laureth sulfates) and other surfactants.  And while SLSs could be considered as a DIY shark repellant, it is something I would rather not have near my skin.  So, I have to make my stuff including hair gel.

I make the easiest natural hair gel in the world from flax seeds.  It is especially popular with the natural hair movement, and other women with curly hair.  I have natural hair.  I love it, and I can't ever see myself getting it treated ever again.  After I went through the big chop, I started using this gel, and no chemicals in my hair.  And my hair and scalp have been happier for it.

Still not convinced?  Here is what Livestrong.com has to say about flax seed and how good it is for hair:


Hooray for flax seeds!  There are more than a few resources on how to make Flax Seed Gel; and my method is no different than most of the others.  Here is a great video and a printable resource if you want to make it for yourself.  I have some pictures to show you how the process works for me:

I use the ratio of 1/4 cup whole flax seeds to 2 cups water.  This makes just about 250mL of gel, which lasts me for almost a month (it only stays good for about that long anyways.)  I also only add Vitamin E, grapefruit extract and sweet orange essential oil, that's why I smell like oranges.  I let the gel cool a little before squeezing it out; I'm not Superwoman.

Boiling
Gelling
Straining
Squeezing
Gel!

I store my gel in the fridge in some little mason jars, and I use it everyday.  I like it because it smells good, and doesn't leave my hair crunchy (I hate that.)  The best part though, is for a $2.00 scoop of flax seed from the Bulk Barn, I get a year's worth of hair gel.  That means I spend $0.16/month on hair gel.  I love DIY.


 There's still more DIY Week coming up! 
Every day I will be sharing a new DIY project.  I hope you find them useful!





1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing how to do this. Flax seed is good for acne too.
    http://jtrader.hubpages.com/hub/Benefits-of-Flax-Seed-for-Clearing-Up-Acne-Pimples-Naturally

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a line, I love hearing from you!