Friday 3 August 2012

DIY Fake Washi Tape


That washi tape stuff is EVERYWHERE.   I really think that it is cute, and I love to use it in my mixed media stuff and in my art journal.  The down side for me, is its a bit pricey for my budget these days.  If I could afford it, I would buy all the tape! 

So I had the bright idea to make "Fake Washi Tape."  Its not the real thing, but I still like it.  This is not an original idea by any means; but I did it by using what I had already.  Many crafty-types have this stuff around the house anyways, so instead of going out and buying some contact paper, check and see if you have these materials and make a little batch of " washi-style" tape for yourself.



Materials:

  • Colored papers, I used scrapbooking papers and some Christmas wrapping paper I had hoarded left over.
  • Double sided tape; I got 3 rolls for a dollar at the dollar store.  For the four kinds I made, I used under a roll, and I had 8 feet of "washi" tape.
  • Ruler; or any straight edge.
  • Rotary cutter or scissors; the rotary cutter is super easy and fast.  I use an old quilting rotary cutter for paper.
  • Cutting mat; totes optional.  I happen to like my table.
This is so easy, I'm a little embarrassed to call it a tutorial.   I took some paper, I stuck it to one side of the double sided tape, then I rolled it up to be used later.  That's pretty much it. 


Rolling and cutting was pretty zen.  It got frustrating when the paper didn't line up to the edge (use that ruler!) but it usually sorted itself out.



When you need it, just rip of a piece, and peel the backing and stick it like tape.  I just think its prettier.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line, I love hearing from you!