Friday 24 August 2012

Made: Paint Chip Matchbook Notebook


I am always looking for a piece of paper or my notebook to jot something down.  I have a lot of ideas for blogging and such when I'm out on the open road.  But I don't carry my usual notebook everywhere because it is much too big and heavy.  So, I made these little notebooks out of some paint chips I had laying around.  I can throw them into my bag, no matter how small, and I always have somewhere to write ideas.  They are very handy, and super easy to make. 


What you need:
  • paint chip- I think these are from Walmart, they are for CIL brand paint, but any paint chips will do; it would just change the size and shape of your book.
  • Stapler
  • Paper, I used scrap paper
  • scissors- I used a rotary cutter; it made things much easier.
  • ruler
  • clear tape (optional)
Fold your paint chip into three like a match book.  My dimensions were, 8.5 cm for the top section, 9.5 cm for the middle section and 2.5 cm for the flap.  I creased it well, and cover the fold with clear tape to reinforce them.  But that's totally optional.


Then it will look like a big matchbook.
 

Next, cut your paper the length and width minus a 1/2 cenitmeter of the entire paint chip.  You are going to fold the stack of paper in half to make the pages of your notebook.
 

I forgot to take a picture of the next part, but its easy.  Take the folded edge of your pages, and tuck them under the 2.5 cm flap.  Staple once or twice like a matchbook.  The fold should be under the flap so that you can flip the pages.

 

And there you have it!  A little notebook!


If you are anything like me, you made 6 and threw them in all of your bags.


What is your notebook solution?  Do you carry one?  Do you just grin and bear the extra weight? 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line, I love hearing from you!