Monday 13 August 2012

DIY Week: Mason Jar Tumblers


This week I've been completing the DIY projects that I've had on my list for a long time.  This is one project that I thought was so useful, and since my cold drink tumbler broke this summer (sad face), I decided there was no time like the present.

I take a smoothie to work every morning; instead of waking up 20 mins earlier, I would rather drink my breakfast on the go.  So I had been using a plastic tumbler that I bought, and it was great, but it broke.  That is probably for the best since it probably wasn't BPA-free.  I didn't think that mattered since I would only have cold drinks in it, but D said that didn't matter.  I tried to do some research, but all the resources supported his claim, and I decided that none of those resources could be considered credible.

ANYWAYS, instead of fighting him on this, I said that I would use a glass jar to take my smoothies in.  But the jars are not so good "on-the-go" you know?  I like to drink my breakfast and drive, and a mason jar is not so conducive to that.  I saw the mason jar tumblers at a friends wedding, and I thought it was such a good idea.  She got them on Etsy, so I looked around.  I wasn't too keen to pay $14.00 for a jar when I had jars at home, so I decided to make it myself.  It wasn't hard.  Here's what you need:
  • a mason jar with lid and screw on band
  • a drill with a 3/8 drill bit
  • some needle nose pliers
  • a little beeswax (optional, but totally helpful)
  • and some 1/4" rubber hole grommets.  In Canada, they come in packages like this:

These rubber hole grommets are usually for electrical work, they are used to protect wires when you drill through metal.  I used them to protect my straw from the metal lid.  This six pack cost me $3.50, and I can make 6 tumblers out of them.   I bought them at Home Depot, but any hardware and building store should have them.  You just need to know what to ask for. ;-)

To put the tumbler together, the steps are pretty easy:
  • Wash your jars, lids and grommets.  
  • Mark on the lid where you want to hole to go.  Drill hole.  Make sure you get all the little metal shavings off the lid.
  • Use pliers to push down the sharp edges left by the drilling.  (important so you don't tear the grommet.)
  • (Optional) rub a little beeswax around the hole.  Since you are drilling through metal, if you don't treat it it will rust.  The wax slows that down, and it edible.  Unless you are allergic to bees.  If you have a bee allergy, I'm not sure what else you could use... Soy wax maybe?)  
  • Pop your grommet through the hole.  
  • I wash the lid again, just to make sure that I got all those little metal shavings off.  
And that's all there is to it. Sip and enjoy.




There is still more DIY week!  
 Every day I will be sharing a new DIY project.  I hope you find them useful!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line, I love hearing from you!