Wednesday 29 August 2012

Foodie: Breakfasts on the Go


I used to be the type of person who grabbed coffee and a muffin on the way to work.  Not the healthiest way to start my day, and really expensive.  So I started looking for things I could take with me that were not costly, and were not, basically, a bald cupcake for breakfast.  So someone, I can't remember who, turned me onto refrigerator oatmeal.   And I totally love it.

If you don't know what this amazing concoction is, essentially, it is soaked oats in various yummy yogurt mixtures.  You make it the night before, and grab it in the morning.  Its super easy to make, and I find them very yummy.


All versions start with the same 2 basic ingredients: oats and chia seeds.  Yes, the Ch-ch-ch-chia kind.  Here's how I make it:

Ingredients:
1/3 cup of plain Greek or Balkan style yogurt
1/3 cup of rolled oats (not instant or quick cooking or steel cut)
1 Tbsp of chia seeds
1-2 Tbsp skim milk, or almond milk or coconut milk
1 Tbsp of some kind of sweetener like jam or maple syrup
1/3 cup of fruit, cut into small pieces

Instructions:
Mix the oats, yogurt, chia seeds and milk into a take-along container (I use old mason jars), and mix.  add sweetener, stir, then add fruit to the top.  If adding bananas, add in the morning so they don't go brown.  Put in the fridge for at least 4 hours.  Then you can eat it!

That's it.  No cooking required.  The oats and the chia swell, so this makes a fairly hearty breakfast.  I usually can't eat it all.  You could probably reduce the measurements to 1/4 cups, but I haven't done that.   I really like it.  And its nut free so I can eat it at school.

The first combination that I fell in love with was strawberry jam as the sweetener, and banana as the fruit.  It is yummy.  Since I first started making it, I have created two new flavors:



You make it the same way, but use maple syrup for the sweetener, and blueberries as the fruit.  This is my new favorite.



At a close second it this version.  It is a little tart, but in a good way.  Its second because there are a lot of seeds.  Teeth, proceed with caution on this one.

Got any other nut-free on-the-go breakfast foods for me?  That aren't desserts in disguise?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line, I love hearing from you!