Tuesday 7 August 2012

DIY: "Porcelain" Mason Jars

From RealSimple.com
I really wanted these porcelain mason jars.  I think they are so clean looking, and classic.  However, I do not have 50 each for a vase.  If you do, totally support Alyssa Ettinger, get one so can drool over.

But, if like me, you can't afford such beautiful things, you can try and make a substitute until you can buy one for yourself.


I made these very easily.  They are not porcelain, they are painted glass, but they look porcelain-y.

You need:

  • Old mason jars in different sizes, I used some that didn't have lids.  They were going to be garbage!
  • Matte white enamel spray paint, I got mine at Home Depot for $3
  • newspaper
  • a place to spray paint, preferably outside
 

Set out your newspaper, and make sure that you have a picture of Joesph Gordon-Levitt to counter the HUGE picture of Bob Saget looking at you.  Yikes.  Make sure that your glass jars are clean and dry.  They have to be dry or else the paint won't stick.  Also make sure you are using enamel spray paint so it will stick to the glass.  Glass isn't porous, so you need to use the heavy-duty enamel paint.


 
Paint your jars, make sure that you paint the jars in layers, otherwise you will have pooling and dripping on your jars, and they won't look like porcelain.  My jars took 4 layers, and I let the jars dry for 2-3 hours in between the paint layers.  If that big picture of Bob Saget is still creeping you out, just put a little spray of paint over it.  Bad man all gone.

After the jars are covered and dry, you will need to turn them over and do a quick spray around the mouth of the jar to cover the part that the jar was resting on.  Then, after they dry, they should look like this:


 I didn't have to paint the inside, so it is easy to wash out.  These are no dishwasher safe, nor are they ok for food or drink usage.  I use mine as a vase.  They are empty right now, because I am waiting for a certain someone to notice that flowers are needed...
 

2 comments:

  1. James Bond Bond26 March 2014 at 23:40

    Your writers have capability to make understand the users, great stuff you have provided to us.http://plus.google.com/112458942571457568265/posts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahaa, it’s nice
    conversation on the subject of this post at this place, I actually have read
    all that, therefore at this time me additionally commenting at this place.
    bubblegum casting reviews

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a line, I love hearing from you!