Saturday 18 August 2012

DIY Week: Natural Make-Up Remover


I don't often wear makeup.  I don't like it on my face, and I'm not especially skilled at putting it there.  But, there are sometimes when I have to wear it; like when I'm in a show or play, or for formal events.  So, there's no way around it, makeup is a part of my life.  I found that the makeup removers that I can buy were either super irritating, or super greasy and caused some problems for my skin.  Not to mention they are kinda expensive.  So I found an alternative.


Here is what I use to make my makeup remover.  Its a short list of ingredients:

1/2 cup of distilled water 
1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp of aloe vera gel
8 drops of Seabuckthorn Seed Oil
A clean bottle in which to store your remover

A Note: The Seabuckthorn Oil is not a necessity for the remover to work.  I add it because it has soothing properties, and because I use it on my face as a moisturizer every day.  I also like the smell of the oil, and I know that it is safe for use around my eyes.  It is pretty pricey, and a little hard to find; but like I said, it is totally optional for this recipe. 


Add all the ingredients to the water in your bottle.  The oils will sit on top of the water, because oil is hydrophobic.  Commercial cleansers get around this by adding emollients to integrate the oil into the water.  Instead of adding chemicals, all I do is shake this bad boy up before using.  The oil and the water mix briefly after a good shake.  Squirt a little onto some cotton while it is mixed, and remove that makeup!


The remover with start to separate again after you let it settle.  That's normal and not a problem.  Just remember to shake the bottle before using.  It works really well, it took off my mascara here.  I put a little on the cotton pad, hold it against my eyelashes for a few seconds, then rub it off.  Easy peasy!



Last day of DIY Week!  I've had a great time sharing some of the products I make for myself.  I hope that you found the tutorials informative, even if you don't give them a try.

 

2 comments:

  1. Great tutorial! I'm definitely going to be mixing up some of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! I found out by accident how good jojoba oil is for removing eye make up. I use that now as opposed to the Sephora stuff I used to use! :)

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a line, I love hearing from you!