Friday 23 March 2012

A Star Bunting and the best invitation ever


I forgot that I crocheted all these stars.  I couldn't remember why I made them, so I decided to do something with them.  I made a bunting!  I'm a little obsessed with buntings lately; there are so many beautiful fabric ones to buy on Etsy.  I've been meaning to make one, but I haven't got around to it yet.  So when I saw these stars, I had to turn them into something I could hang in my room!


I love it hanging under the window, but I'm not sure how to stick it up.  It is being held on with tape which is kind of tacky (pun intended!) and really temporary.  I could put some nails in the wall, but I have a hangup about holes in the wall.  Even most of our pictures hare hung on sticky hooks.


The little stars are cute!  I have a thing for stars.  Last year my classroom was decorated in stars (I had a theme for the year and it was space travel).  I love the shape of them, and I love the colors of these.

Do you want to make a star bunting?  Well, it so happens that I wrote out the pattern!

Little Crochet Stars

I used worsted weight wool with an H/ 5.00mm hook

Make a magic ring (adjustable loop) and chain 4

First round: in the ring ch 1, 3 dc *ch 2 3 dc. Repeat * 3 more times, ch 2 and join to the first ch 1.  You should have 5 groups of dc clusters separated by ch 2 spaces.

Second round:  sl st in the next dc. *In ch 2 space work 3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc. Skip the next dc and sl st in the middle dc of the cluster. Repeat * around.

Third Round: sc into each st of round 2.  In the ch 2 spaces work 2 sc, ch 3 sc. End the round with a sl st.

Make as many stars as you would like in the bunting.  I used 9 (4+1+4) so that it would be symmetrical.  Attach stars together in the ch 3 points using coordinating yarn.  On each end, attach a length of yarn, and crochet a chain for as long as you need to attach bunting.  I chained 10 on each side.

After the bunting is attached, on a medium iron, iron your stars flat.  I used a little bit of laundry starch, but you could use watered down white glue using this technique (link) too.  After the stars are dry and flat, your bunting is ready to hang!


Find somewhere that needs a little cheering, and set it up! 




 In other news, I got the greatest wedding invitation in the mail today.  My lovely friends Kate and Ian are getting married!  And this was what they sent out:


Isn't that so funny?  I got the card, and you pull off the mustache for the date!  I love it.  And Kate and Ian are two of the funniest people I know, so this card is completely suitable for their event.  This invite really made my day.

The guy on the card kind of reminds me of a face from the game "Guess Who?" Remember that one?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line, I love hearing from you!