Monday 12 March 2012

Re-Learning how to Relax

I'm on vacation this week, March Break!  As a teacher, I work so hard throughout the school year making lesson plans, getting to school early, leaving late, marking and grading homework, report cards.  I often have to apologize to non-teacher friends for being so absent through the school year.  Because I like being busy, I forget how to just step back and chill out.

I don't mind the scheduled existence working in a school.  I like routines (to a point). This week is routine free, and I have to admit I find the idea a little daunting.  So, this week, I am going to re-learn how to relax.  I'm going to try doing things on their own time.  Try doing an activity because I feel like it, or because I want to.  Not because of a schedule I have to follow.  Today was tricky, and I ended up with a headache (mostly due to the weather)... But I managed to do a few things for myself.  I even made myself sit down and not do anything. This was so hard!  I kept telling myself I was wasting time!  Which is why I needed to just sit.  Here's a peek at my day:



Tea and muffin at my fave coffeehouse.  I was having a pretty good hair day, so had to record that.


My favorite muffin!  They make the best blueberry muffins at the Mulberry Street Cafe (link).  I have tried, but I can't get the recipe.  They are just crunchy enough on the outside, and so moist on the inside... Yum.  Perfect breakfast for one of my least favorite parts of acting, memorizing lines.  I'm planning to do an hour each morning and 1/2 before bed.  I should know those lines in no time.


With my coffee was a lovely surprise: art by Andy DeCola (link). I like his poppy, bright paintings.  His statement says he has a "love/hate" relationship with the pop culture of the 80's. But we know my stance, I love the 80's.  I love the names of some of his paintings: a diptych "Shermer High School" and another called "Jack and Diane."  These two were my faves on display.




Shiloh's been amusing me to no end.  We bought him a birdbath that attaches to the side of his cage, because he LOVES baths.  He has yet to use it as a birdbath though.  He drinks out of it, and not much else.  It's funny because if I'm sitting in my chair, he sits on the ledge of the bath, and watches.  Sometimes sleeps.  What's hilarious, is he uses his drinking cup for a bath.  It's hilarious because its not really big enough, and its a little deep for a bath.  But he loves it.  He falls into it head first, and flaps his wings around as well as he can.  It cracks us up, because after he's done, he'll go around to the big basin and drink.

During my nap, D made dinner.  He was so proud of himself, and I was proud of him too!  He made curried chicken and rice.  It was so delish. 


In return for such a great supper, I made D a bit of a treat: a Salted Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie (link) with a link in case you have the urge to make one.  The salt makes this treat awesome.  I didn't think it would work, but it adds... something.  I got to use my dad's cast iron skillet for this.  This skillet is older than me!

So, not the most exciting day, but a good start in relaxing.  I would like to accomplish more tomorrow... Ooops.  There I go again.  I think I'll just take tomorrow as it comes.

1 comment:

  1. There's nothing quite as daunting as an unscheduled day--I often make a list the night before of stuff I COULD do, just so I'm not overwhelmed by nothingness. Glad you found fun stuff to do!

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a line, I love hearing from you!