Monday 4 June 2012

What I wore: Black and White


Everyone loves black and white.  Well, for me it wasn't until recently that I started wearing white.  I remember being told as a younger woman, that wearing white makes you look bigger-- and being bigger was the worst possible thing or a girl. 

Now, I don't have to tell you that now I think this way of thinking is stupid.  More than stupid, it is damaging to a girl's self-esteem, and her fashion sense.  (Please note that I'm not making light of the fact that these lies perpetuate a line of thinking that causes eating disorders and self hatred; that stuff is a serious epidemic and is no joke.  I am commenting on how fashion can help create a sense of individuality, and confidence that can spread a message of body acceptance and new understandings of beauty.) 

ANYWAYS, as I have mentioned before, I would only ever wear black t-shirts and jeans, aka the fat-girl army uniform.  I was under the impression that these were slimming, and that I could create the illusion of thinness, which would make me pretty.  I am so glad I changed that tune, because wearing colors and pretty clothes makes me feel pretty!  And wearing white makes me feel summery and chic.  

And I look bad ass in that tank top.


::Head to Toe::
Earrings: These from Ten Thousand Villages
Shrug: Penningtons 
Jeans: Calvin Klein from TJ Maxx
Sandals: Silver Birkenstocks from here

This outfit was great because it was so hot out.  After school, I took off the shrug and went for a walk by the lake.  A pleasant end to a pleasant day in a pleasant outfit.

Have you taken the plunge and wore something people told you you shouldn't?  (You should try it!  Its liberating!)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line, I love hearing from you!