Sunday 17 June 2012

Happy Father's Day, Daddy!


He's a funny dude, my daddy.  He's also not a sappy kind of guy.  So I wanted to post a little about this guy, and his, let's say, quirky personality.

1. We used to hang out on Wednesday night's to watch Dawson's Creek together on the WB.  If I missed a night, my dad would tell me what happened so that I could be caught up for the next week.  I think he secretly hated if I asked him questions while he was watching.  We also used to watch cooking shows together.  I think that's where I decided that I wanted to learn how to cook.  While I was living at home, I told my parents that I couldn't cook, that way I wouldn't have to make dinner.  I only looked like I didn't know what I was doing. 

When my dad found out I could cook, he rolled his eyes and laughed to himself. 

He got the last laugh though.  Since then, when we go home for dinner, my dad always makes me cook something.  On Thanksgiving he invited us over and said he was going to try cooking a duck. 

He meant I was going to try cooking a duck.  And I cooked it. 

My dad would say, "Come on over for a Barbecue, Steph." And when we got there he would hand us the food and say that the barbecue was outside.  He usually said he would be out to check on us later.

2. While driving home to NC for Christmas one year, we developed an inside joke.  Nickleback (or some band's) song  "Arms Wide Open" was a hit then.  I hated and still do hate this song.  However, without fail, every time we entered a new radio station's area, that song was on.  This happened like 7 times in a row.  It was maddening.  And the more annoyed I got, the funnier it was to my dad.  About a month later, my dad called my house to leave me a message.  The whole message was, "Pumpkin, listen:.." and that song played.  Not for a minute.  He LEFT THE WHOLE SONG ON MY MACHINE. 

3. Every time we take a picture together, it looks like this:


A friend said about this picture, "this person looks afraid of you."  I replied, "that's my dad."  She laughed.  He does this in pictures often. 


No, he didn't blink, he refused to open his eyes.  Just being difficult.  He hates pictures.  On my birthday, he asked "why there were so many cameras out ? Is the Pope here?" 

4. My dad is a jokester: one year, I broke my leg, and at that point my dad thought it was a good idea to get me a bike.  To motivate me to get better faster.  Yep.

So if people ever ask me where I get my weirdness from, it is without a doubt, from my father.  My mom's, she's pretty normal.  And patient.  I guess you'd have to be dealing with the two of us.

My dad's my buddy.  We have the same sense of humor, the same smile, and the same nose.  We even have the same beefy arms, and hyper-extended knees. And we both look good in afros. 


Happy Father's Day, Daddy! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line, I love hearing from you!