Monday 8 July 2013

Vacation Round-Up: Quebec City, Canada

View of Quebec from the Plains of Abraham

D and I went on a quick trip to Quebec City for a few days as a get-away for about a week.  We wanted to do it on the cheap, so we (or more accurately, I) drove the 10 hours to get there, and had some fun doing the sight-seeing thing.  What I love about Quebec is that it can feel like you are in another country.  Due to a law from a while ago, all signs in Quebec are in French, which adds to the feeling of being farther away from home than you are. 

Street in Old Quebec

We spent most of our time wandering around the "Old City" in Quebec.  Which I really enjoyed.  Because I'm a French teacher, I speak French, so it was easy for me to ask for directions, and have conversations with people.  D was a little frustrated, not remembering as much of the language as I did.  But we still had a great time.

Terrasse Dufferin, Quebec's Boardwalk

I mostly brought back souvenir stuffs; you know like flags and other assorted memorabilia-- I needed some stuff to decorate my classroom with!  The great thing about visiting during the tourist season is there are tons of free things you can get.  I have a bunch on posters for the classroom in French.  I am very excited to hang up.

Another pic of the Chateau Frontenac

Probably the most famous building in the city is the Chateau Frontenac.  We sat outside it to have our lunch.  I love taking photos of it.  Its interesting from very angle.


I think the highlight of the trip for D was visiting the Citadelle.  He's really into military history and stuff.  It was interesting. 


My favorite part of the tour was riding the incline railway, the funiculaire.  I don't know why, I just thought it was cool.

A play about the church, which was celebrating its 350th anniversary too.

We were pretty lucky that we chose to visit Quebec this week.  There were tons of celebrations going on as it was the city's 350th anniversary celebration, so there were lots of street shows and activities, including a show by Cirque De Soleil and fireworks. 

Even though it was a short trip, it was a lot of fun.  D and I keep talking about "the next time we go back." So that's a good sign.

Have you done any quick trips?  Want to share some memories with me?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line, I love hearing from you!