Tuesday 30 July 2013

Cocktails: The classic G&T


Ah summer, when I get all my drinking for the year done.  Since I don't work in the summer, I don't have to worry about pesky early mornings, or "bedtimes."  It becomes the time of the year (other than Christmas) that I can enjoy some adult beverages without the guilt or responsibility of "adult situations" creeping up on me the next morning.

In the summer, I find that I always reach for (or make or order) the classic Gin and tonic.  It is a cool, metrosexual choice for the urban yuppie.  And I have come to grips with the fact that I'm a "yuppie."  Your brother can only call you that so many times before you think about it, and realize that its probably true.  Is being a yuppie that bad?  I have a stable income, a nice home.  We can go on vacation.  I think that dude is just totally jealous.  I mean I work hard for my money; if I want to go on vacation or buy a car, I should be able to right?  When did I start to think being a yuppie was so bad anyways?  So I put fruit on my salads and eat quinoa.  They're good for you!  I still have loads of street cred.   Forget that kid, he doesn't know what he's talking about.

ANYWAYS,  I love a good G&T.  Its crisp, and refreshing.  Lately, I've been livening my drinks up.  I used to just put that good ol' drink helper, lime into my G&Ts, but now I've started being more adventurous.  Here are some of the additions that I have found to be quite tasty in a classic Gin and Tonic:
  • Strawberries and mint
  • Cucumber and basil (pictured above)
  • Cucumber and melon
  • Blueberries and thyme (I know, but trust me on this one)
  • Mixed berries and lemon
  • Apricot and mint
  • Sliced peaches
  • Lime Cordial and mint

To add any of the above, just muddle your add-ins in the bottom of the glass and add your ice and Gin and Tonic on top, and enjoy!  They taste so good, and they look pretty too.  As soon as noon hits, I'm going to have one.

What are some add-ins that I haven't thought of?  What cool combos have you added to drinks this summer?




2 comments:

  1. Some of the music was fun. Some of it was... well, Milli Vanilli.

    There's always room for gin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAH! Awh. But you can't deny the amusing factor of good ol' MV. :D


    Have you had your gin today?

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a line, I love hearing from you!