Tuesday 23 July 2013

The ABCs of Me: A is for Angerball




Oh, hey!  If you are reading this, you have stuck around this blog.   You are good people.  I read a lot of blogs that don't post anything political... This space is not like that.  So, thanks for being awesome!


I've seen this type of "ABC" list around the blog-o-sphere, and I thought it would be a great (sort of) feature for this blog, so you can get to know me a little better.  And who doesn't like writing essays about themselves?  I certainly do, so I thought this would be a great idea.  

"A" is for "Angerball

I know what you are thinking; what is an "angerball?"  "Angerball" is a term that we use around our house when Stephanie is a ball of tension and anger. Sometimes we use it jokingly, and sometimes its serious.  It really depends on context.  We started using it as a way to diffuse my anger.  I get mad a lot.  Some would say that I have a temper.  You know how it is, I have curly hair.  What's that poem? "There once was a girl with a curl/ in the middle of her forehead./ When she was good, she was very, very good,/ when she was bad she was horrid." So, basically that's me.  But to know me is to love me.  I guess.

I've been thinking lately, what makes some people get angry so easily, and others so chill about stuff? We need some sociology students to figure this stuff out.

ANYWAYS, I know that you want o know how you would you use this in a sentence.  Here are some examples of our use of the term: "Stephanie just ran into a neo-nazi; she's a big angerball right now-- and rightfully so."  Or: "Oh, don't worry D, this isn't an angerball moment; I'm just messing with you!"  So, I guess "angerball" is always a noun.  I haven't verbed it yet, but I will let you know when I do.

Being a liberal-type person, who is active in anti-racism and feminism, it is not surprising that I am angry often.  Just a few of the things that make me angry are:

  • racism, sexism, heterosexism, ableism-- you know where I'm going with this.
  • jokes about abuse, rape, violence; that shit is not funny.
  • traffic jams
  • when DJs talk over the start of a song on the radio
  • changing the milk bag-- I mean, c'mon!  You finish it you switch it!
  • people who talk down to me; I'm not a moron
  • people who stare at me at yoga class
  • when they discontinue a product I like using
  • when I notice the guy driving in front of me is texting!  On the highway!
  • when people ask if I've lost weight (A. How is that anyone's business?  B. I usually just tell them, "No, its still there, I'm just parting it on the side now.")
  • when my hair won't co operate
  • when the sink is stopped up
  • when I buy something and then find it for much cheaper
  • people who try to cut in front of other in long lines- wait your turn!
  • noisy neighbours at 1am (if I can keep my piano quiet, you can not scream at each other)
  • when people hit their kids in pubic (or in private)
  • And much, much, more!!!

So, as you can see, I get mad a lot.  For someone with quite the temper, you would think that I spend most of my days walking around in a fog of anger and loathing.  Oddly, I do not.  I am quick to temper, and also, quick to cool down.  I like to think of it as a little stress workout for my heart.  Part of the reason I can cool down so quickly is my "calm yourself down" routine.  Next time you are angry, you can try it too.  I've made a flowchart that you can remember and consult next time you are an angerball:


So, when I get mad, I usually tell myself to get a grip and that works for me.  What do you do to calm down after you get frustrated? 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line, I love hearing from you!