Wednesday 9 October 2013

DIY: Pumkin Spice Latte (Its ok that I spelled it wrong, I probably made it wrong.)


I'm back!  Since I took such a long break, I thought I would apologize with this peace offering on how to make your own addicting beverage.

I know so many people that are addicted to the Pumpkin Spice Latte from Starbucks.  And that's cool.  I used to love them!  But lately, I've noticed that they have been making my sick; and my tummy can't handle too much of a beating anymore.

Also, for those who know me, I am incredibly cheap when it comes to spending money on things I'm pretty sure I can make myself.  For a fraction of the cost.  And its probably way healthier for me.  And tastes better.

ANYWAYS, I was searching for people that have tried to make the PSL for themselves, and they had some great ideas!  But they seemed really time consuming for a cup of coffee.   

That's the pleasure of SBux, you don't have to do anything but hand over that money!  So here is a "latte" that is easy, fast, and cheap.


Steph's Pumkin Spice Latte (Its ok that I spelled it wrong, I probably made it wrong.)

Ingredients:

1-2 tbsp honey (or you could use less agave syrup)
A mixture of cinnamon, ground clove and nutmeg that equals 1/4 tsp
About 1 cup of Soy milk, or any kind of milk
3/4 cup of strong coffee

Method:


Mix the honey (syrup) and spices together well.  Set aside while you assemble the rest of the team.

For the coffee part, I use my Keurig brewer.  (See I told you I wanted fast!)  To brew your coffee this way, use a dark roast (bold) coffee.  Brew one up using only 6 oz. of water.  That will make a nice strong cup for you latte.


 
For the milk part, pour your milk into a high walled bowl.  With a whisk, beat it until its frothy.  About 30 seconds.  Put the milk in the microwave for 30 seconds (until hot.) Take it out, give it another quick whisking, and assemble the knockoff latte:

Add 1-2 tsbp of honey to your cup, pour the hot coffee over the syrup and mix well.
Then pour the foamy milk into the coffee, and spoon some foam on top.

You could sprinkle some cinnamon on top if you are obsessed with making it look legit.  But then drink it immediately, because you've wasted enough time.

Or wait, and try to get some artsy pictures of it until the foam is gone:


Either way its delicious.  And I still have my 5 bucks.  And my Pumpkin Spice fix.  Enjoy!


3 comments:

  1. Looks so yummy! I have looked at tons of different at-home latte/smoothie type recipes and they are all way too complicated or with too many ingredients, etc., so I am wicked glad you posted this; I will definitely try it. If you're up for it, I'd be interested in other versions of lattes and smoothies and such that are easy and not ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No prob! I got a million of them. The one's I saw were probably great, but had a lot of "blah, blah, French press... blah blah something degrees." Um, I'm hardly coherent in the morning BC (before coffee) and you want me to do what? So I needed to bring in my loverly keurig for fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about pumpkin syrup??

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a line, I love hearing from you!