Friday 30 August 2013

New Home: Picture Tour


We have finished moving!  We are unpacked, and save for a few pieces of art and some cushions, we are nested.  Since we took this move to be a new start in a new place, I decided that we should invest in some art for our walls that reflect our personalities instead of some mass-produced stuff on the walls for color.  So far, its looking really good!

I thought it would be fun to show you what we have on our walls right now, as a glimpse into our new place.  The above picture, "She said kiss me somewhere dirty..." was in our old place, but its our fave so it followed.  It was printed by my friend Dave, and I bought it from Mixed Media here in Hamilton.  It has a prominent place in our living room.  After all, we did meet in Hamilton.


In the kitchen, we have room for art now!  It is a HUGE upgrade from the last place.  It has a window, which I love, and tile, which I also love.  Over my stove, I hung this page from an antique book.  The book was a botany book from 1880.  It features 3 of my favorite things: coffee, tea, and chocolate.


Bathroom: A photo that my kinda-cousin took during her photography course.  Its of one of my favorite buildings in town, the old train station.  Looks familiar?  If you have seen X-men or Hemlock Grove, it would-- they were filmed there.


In the office... Did I mention I have an office/ craft room now?  Because I totally do!  I have a table for sewing, and crafts, and my computer and photography stuff.  There's a closet for my music stuff.  Its the best little room in the place.  If I'm in the middle of a project, I can leave it, and my living doesn't look trashed-- I just close the door and invite company over.  It is the most exciting thing.

ANYWAYS, We moved my inspiration wall into the office.  Its two shelves and has cool things like the license plate from when I was born; a plate and a stone roofing tile I got in New Orleans; a souvenir from Las Vegas; some art by an indigenous artisan in Honduras and the like.  Its like a "around the world in 2 shelves," kind of wall.


The latest and probably my favorite new art are the prints I have hanging above our bed; they are prints of painting by Emily W. Martin.  I love them because they remind me of fairy tales, and our bedroom is already kind of whimsical like her pictures.  My fave of the three is the doggie.  I call her Nelly, the dog-faced child-- who you may remember from here.  This is a little more, um, I don't know... classy?

So there is some of the art we have in our new home!  Do you have a particular piece that you think represents you?  A favorite piece?



7 comments:

  1. I love all your art pieces!! I've been in my house for nearly 6 years and still haven't committed to hanging things on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are only hanging things we love. I bought a big piece for the living room yesterday. It will have its own blog post, its that awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the first print, so very Hamilton! Fitting for you guys too, haha! Have you seen the shirt about the Barton St. bus? Something along the lines of paying $2 for great entertainment. I also love the print of the girl with the bear mask, definitely my kind of whimsical.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That shirt sounds hilarious. I work on that route too, so I have seen some stuff... I am in love with the stuff on our walls again. Finally. Youknowwhatimean?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was at Metro on King St. a while ago, not sure if they still sell it but it made me laugh. Barton is so sketchy, I don't think I want to imagine the things you have witnessed. I am picturing you saying it like *I've seen some things man*


    I can't wait to have my own forreals (permanent) place and decorate it with great art. I totally know what you mean.

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a line, I love hearing from you!