Sunday 10 March 2013

Foodie: Gourmet Grilled Cheese


I love a good grilled cheese sandwich.  Love it.  If I want a not-so-healthy sandwich, then I fry one of these babies right up.  Lately, there has been a food-truck renaissance in Hamilton and one of the most popular is the Gorilla Cheese truck.  I have never had one of their sandwiches.  I don't wait in line for hours for foods.  I've never done it.  Especially when I'm a capable cook myself. 

ANYWAYS, we walked by this truck, and I wanted a grilled cheese.  But there was like an hour wait.  So I said, "No thanks," and went home to make one of these babies.

I did not make up this recipe.  The idea comes from a great blog called Closet Cooking, which is about cooking in small kitchens.  I have a tiny kitchen, so I like that this guy can make the most amazing food with the basic kitchen set up. 

I did adjust the recipe.  The original recipe takes a while, and well, I wanted my grilled cheese NOW.  So, I changed some of the ingredients, and this sandwich still turned out awesome.  D says its like his favorite grilled cheese.  And because he is such a connoisseur of all things grilled cheese, I take his praise to mean that this is a pretty great sammie.

Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese Sandwich 
(Adapted from Closet Cooking)

Ingredients:
2 slices of bread (I used French bread for the sandwich pictured)
1-2 tablespoons butter, room temperature (or spreadable margarine)
2-3 tablespoons of spreadable cream cheese
1/2 cup or less of shredded sharp cheddar and Monterrey jack cheese
8-12 slices of pickled jalapeno peppers, drained and chopped.

Directions:
Butter the bread, put buttered sides of the bread together to assemble your sandwich. 

Spread cream cheese, sprinkle with peppers and cheddar and jack cheeses.

Grill in a dry frying pan until outsides are nicely toasted and insides are melted.

We eat these with some guacamole and tortilla chips.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line, I love hearing from you!