Sunday 10 February 2013

Made: DIY Bow Headband

 
Its finally been cold here!  So, it was time for me to get my knitting needles out and whip up a headband for my ears!  I don't like wearing hats at school because I don't want to mess up my already frizzy hair.  And, its really difficult to find hats that a) fit over my afro; and b) don't cause my hair to become a frizzy mess after I take it off.  So, headbands are a total lifesaver for me here.  

I looked around for a pattern that I liked, and none of them were exactly what I liked.  So, I used this headband pattern, and made up my own bow pattern.  Which I will share with you right now:

 
Knitted bow pattern:

Materials:
Less than 100 yds of worsted weight yarn ( I used some alpaca/wool I got from a farm around here)
US size 8 (5 mm) knitting needles
Yarn needle for putting it all together 

Part 1: The Bow
CO 17 sts.
Knit in st st for 7 inches (18 cm) then cast off.  You will have a rectangle, with the sides curling inwards.  You totally want this.

Part 2: The tie
CO 6 sts.  This is the middle part of the bow.
Row 1: K1, P1, K1, P1, K1 P1.
Row 2: Same as row 1.
Continue in pattern until you have completed 8 rows.  
Cast off. This will be a tiny ribbed rectangle.

Putting it together:
Take the bow (part 1) and sew the ends together into a tube.  Fold the tube in half with the seam in the back center.

Pinch the middle of the tube into a bow shape, and wrap the tiny ribbed rectangle (part 2) around the middle of your bow.  Sew the tie in place, and secure with a couple stitches into the bow.  

Attach to your headband, and style that thing!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line, I love hearing from you!