Sunday 17 February 2013

Link Up: The No Stress Book Club


If you are anything like me, you like to share about a book you loved.  I love inspiring people to read a good book, and I love hearing about books that other people have read.  My partner says that I will try and read anything.  Really, its talking to people about books that helps me find my next novel to read.   Just the other morning, I went o buy my coffee, and I started talking about Kurt Vonnegut with another customer (he happened to have a copy of Cats Cradle in his pocket.)  And that's how I found the book I'm reading now (Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger if you are interested.)

In short, I love hearing about the books people read.  And I love Link-Ups.  So this is the best of both worlds.  But this isn't a blog book club in the regular sense.  There is no required reading.  We talk about books you have already read.  Each week there will be a new question about books and their characters to answer.  Once you have answered, link up so that everyone can see your answer!

This weeks question:

What book turned you into a "reader?"

I was always a big reader.  I grew up in a house that did not have a lot of books in it, so as soon as I could go to the library on my own, I was there every weekend.  

In high school, I was able to talk to adults about what they were reading, and about what was influential.  I loved my high school English classes, because they introduced me to some great works.  Even though my classmates hated them, I loved all the books we were reading.  (Except maybe The Stone Angel.  I don't know how they expect teens to relate to Hagar Shipley...) 

ANYWAYS, I remember talking to my English teacher about dystopian literature, and he was shocked that I hadn't read 1984.  He said he wouldn't talk to me about these types of books until I read it.  Then he loaned me his copy.  

I read it in 2 days.

It is still my favorite book.   I became very interested in science fiction; and other dystopian books; and reading this book helped to develop my cultural lexicon.  When they installed surveillance cameras in our high school, I was able to understand the comments about "Big Brother."  (And I just made the connection to the once popular "Big Brother" "reality" show.  Oh sometimes I am slow with things-- especially when you don't have a TV...)

ANYWAYS, I always felt a little like Winston in 1984; sort of walking through life, not completely interested or invested; a little depressed about my situation; always wanted to know more, but having none of the supposed power that came with that knowledge... I could see many similarities to the society of 1984, and our society.  This book is probably why I became the "bleeding-heart" liberal that I am.  And I am thankful for that.  

How to link up:
  • Write a post answering this week's question on your blog.
  • Post the link here;
  • Grab a button to share! (In the side bar)
  • That's all there is too it.  No stress!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line, I love hearing from you!