Wednesday 20 August 2014

Peach Season


The summer is awesome for those of us who live in the region called the Niagara Green Belt!  We live in a temperate area where there are so many orchards and farms of all types.  And at this time of the year is my favorite fruit harvest-- peaches!

Remember this gem?


That doesn't really have anything to do with this other than its a song about my favorite fruit that I sing when I'm eating peaches.  And now, hopefully you will too.

ANYWAYS, the point of this post was to implore you to roast and/ or grill your peaches.  They are so yummy raw, but roasting them ups your game!

The picture above is of a peach roasted in the oven, with ice cream and a yummy pecan mush.  I'm southern so I eat pecans on EVERYTHING.

To roast your peaches:
  1. Wash then cut your peaches in half and remove the stone.
  2. Put your peaches into an oven safe baking dish 
  3. Roast/ Bake your peaches at 350 for an hour or so.  They are finished when they are soft and juicy and the skin on the edge of the cut has curled slightly.  
There you go.  Eat them as dessert by themselves.  Or you can add ice cream and a yummy nut mush.

Yummy Nut Mush:
1/2 cup of pecans (walnuts work too)
2 tbsp soft butter (I used Earth Balance which was great)
2 tbsp of brown sugar

Add all ingredients to food processor and pulse until it comes together.  Serve a spoonful with your roasted peaches and ice cream and enjoy.

Seriously, roasting these peaches changed my life.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line, I love hearing from you!