Wednesday 9 March 2011

Instead of counting sheep, count embarrassment

There are few things I really love to do:  and sleep is high on that list.  And nothing is worse than when a good sleep is ripped away from my tiny hands on a work night.

Insomnia, you are definitely not a friend of mine.

Instead of counting sheep, here's a list of funny happenings/things I said to the students on our field trip last week:




One of the girls was goofing around on the subway, and she fell right into the lap of a cute high school boy.  She was so embarrassed, and had the pinkest cheeks I ever saw.  She looked at me, and I said, "Do you feel like a goat?"

Confused she looked at me and asked, "like a goat?"

I replied, "Baaa-aaa-ad?"



*************************************************

I let the girls buy some candy for the ride home on our field trip.  One of the girls bought a box of Nerds.  (Remember Nerds?! Definitely a cool choice.)  She was studying the box intently while we were on the subway.

I tapped her on the shoulder, and when she looked up I said, "Looking for a picture of yourself, Nerd?"

She giggled.  I giggled.  The guy in the seat beside her giggled.  It was a good ride.

**************************************************

My students love to sing.  They sing anytime.  And the music of their 8 year-old lives, is not exactly the soundtrack  would choose to live by.   I often have to tell them, "there is a time and place to sing.  And this is not one of them."

Sitting on the crowded city bus, I heard a little voice start singing, "Sparks Fly" by Taylor Swift.  The voice inside my head said, "that has to be one of mine."  Before I could say anything, all of them started singing "Sparks Fly."  Loudly.  On a crowded bus.  I told them the bus driver probably would want us to stop becasue he didn't like Taylor Swift.  He said, "no its fine.  I like it."  The only talking bus driver in all of Toronto wouldn't back me up.  So then I though a compromise would be in order; I asked them to sing Sarah McLachlan song, "Ice Cream."  So they did.  Then a passenger on the bus said, "Whoa, they take requests.  Can you sing some Bon Jovi?"

And all my 8 and 9 year-old students started to sing, "Living On A Prayer."

I still don't even know how they knew that song.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line, I love hearing from you!