Monday 27 June 2011

Why art journal?

I was never very good at keeping a written journal-- I would be intimidated by the lines on the page, and worried that I couldn't fill them up with meaningful prose.  I guess that's why I never considered blogging about my journalling either.  Trying to use words to describe the process and reasons for my sketchbooks is really difficult.  But here it goes anyways:

What are the reasons you keep an art journal, Stephanie?

1. I find using color and shape less limiting than words.  I'm not a great wordsmith, so I would rather draw my meaning.  Or create music about it.

2. I get to learn and try out new techniques in my books.  The smaller format is great for trying a little bit of watercolors; or a small amount of decoupage.

3. My journal allows me to do something creative everyday.  I can't work on my big pieces everyday. Sometimes i get tired just thinking about some of the pieces I should finish, but you know how it is...

4. My journal is a mini portfolio of my work and my photography.  Its a great example of the art I make.

5. I can't screw it up.  And I'm not even afraid that I might.  Art rocks.

6.  Its a great conversation piece.  I've met some great artists by sharing my work with them.

7. Its a visual representation of my life.  A pages tells me exactly what I was feeling that day.  No censorship there.

I am very interested to know why other artists keep art journals...  Why do you keep one?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line, I love hearing from you!