Thursday 1 October 2020

Hand Sewn Patches (Iron-On because I did enough sewing)


For the past few weeks, I've been obsessed with embroidering iron-on patches for my jacket.  

You see, I couldn't find my favourite denim jacket when I was changing my closet over to fall and winter clothing (because I have a small closet, I store off-season clothes).  I was really sad, and I knew I'd miss it, so I bought a new one.  But, then I found it-- Of course I did.  So now I have one that I want to sew patches onto.  And since my tastes run, ahem, weird, I wanted to make my own.  And that's how it started.


I still haven't figured out my style.  I like super detailed things, so the patches I've made have a lot of details.  I waver between botanical illustrations, and graffiti.  Extreme. 


This bee was the first one I completed.  It was, ah, a little ambitious for my first one, but I like how it turned out.  


The process is kind of long though.  First I need an idea of a patch I want to make.  Then I sketch it out in a notebook, or on some paper.  Then I ink up the sketch so that I can see the lines to trace it onto the cloth. I trace it onto the cloth (I use cotton broadcloth for the backing).  I put my cotton and my stabilizer fabric onto the hoop, and start sewing.  I mostly stitch at night.  Its pretty calming.  


I've been saying "Dope" a lot since I got this shirt from my aunt:


So, you know... it made its way into my art.  And just because I think it so pretty, here's my organized embroidery floss container:


Sigh.  I love it when things are in rainbow order.  



3 comments:

  1. Will you be posting your jacket as you add patches? This is so cool that you are making your own! I like the idea of botanicals with graffiti, like a leather jacket with an evening gown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will post the jacket- it only has the bee on it right now because I can't decide where I want to put the other patches. But I will post the new patches as I finish them.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete

Drop me a line, I love hearing from you!