Wednesday 21 March 2012

Vintage Loves: My scarf collection


I used to wear a lot of vintage clothing.  I loved it!  It was cheap, and original, and fun!  My jam was clothing from the 70s.  I had a long leather jacket, and cool hats to match my afro.  Much to my mother's chagrin, I had some awesome shirts.  I think my dad just found it amusing, and on a couple of occasions, he loved some of my stuff.  As I moved through my career, some of my workplaces were more formal than other places, so I had to give up my polyester and cords, and get some grown up clothes.



One thing I could never get rid of were my scarves.  I love 'em.

The cool thing about vintage scarves is that you can still wear them dressed up or down.

The other cool thing is that in the past, they made scarves to commemorate anything.


Like in the top picture, I have a VOTE scarf which I bust out for every American election.  (My family is American so I always watch the elections with a keen interest in the outcome. ) Or in the picture above, I have a scarf from the Dominican Republic in the 1960s.


These are my two favorite scarves; the ones I wear the most.  One is from the 70s in San Fransisco, and the other is a cotton scarf from the 1940s.

I must have 50 or so scarves.  And I can't wear them all.  I need to find ideas on what I can make with them to use them.  I would like to keep them around, but how?  Maybe pillows?  What else can you make with old scarves?

Maybe I need to get this book (link).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line, I love hearing from you!